A representative authorized to act in the claims adjustment sector is authorized to act with respect to personal and commercial claims.
How to obtain a representative’s certificate:
- Step 1: Satisfy the minimum qualifications
- Step 2: Pass the AMF examinations
- Step 3: Complete a probationary period
- Step 4: Apply for representative’s certificate
- Diploma of Collegial Studies from Québec (DCS);
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (DCS) Insurance and Financial Advisory Services;
- Attestation of collegial studies in damage insurance recognized in an agreement entered into for that purpose between the AMF and a Québec college-level institution;
- Two university certificates of 30 credits each from a Canadian university;
- Bachelor’s degree, specialized graduate diploma (D.E.S.S.), Master’s degree or doctoral degree from a Canadian university;
- Decision issued by the AMF recognizing a level of education equivalent to the Diploma of Collegial Studies;
- Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec issued by the ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles du Québec, indicating a minimum of 13 years of studies;
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent level of education and a decision issued by the AMF recognizing at least 3 years of full-time work experience.
The AMF requires future professionals to pass the following examinations, based on the sector or sector class in which they plan to practice, in order to ensure they have the necessary skills to properly advise clients.
For personal lines damage insurance:
For commercial lines damage insurance:
An examination is valid for two years from the date passed. A failed exam may be rewritten three times.
Once all examinations are passed, a probationary period must be completed. During this time, at least 28 hours of work a week must be completed, under supervision.
All examinations must be valid when beginning the probationary period, which extends for:
- 12 weeks for the claims adjustment sector;
- 6 weeks for the claims adjustment in personal lines damage insurance sector class; and
- 6 weeks for the claims adjustment in commercial lines damage insurance sector class.
- Must submit an application to the AMF before the examinations expire.
- If the examinations expire during the probationary period, the applicant has 30 days from the end of this period to apply.
- While the application is being processed and on receipt of a notice to this effect from the AMF, the probationary certificate will remain in effect for a maximum of 45 days as of the end of the probationary period.
Compulsory Professional Development Requirements over a 2-year period:
- 10 PDU’s in administration or insurance techniques or law and legislation
- 10 PDU’s in professional development or other categories
- Those who earn more than 20 required PDU’s may transfer 3 PDU’s to the following compliance period
- Newly certified members will be exempted from compulsory professional development for 12 months after having passed their entrance examinations